Hernia is a condition where an organ pushes through the wall (muscle or tissue) holding it in place. Generally the organ pushes through a weak spot in the wall and it occurs due to a strain on the weak point. Hernia can occur immediately or over a long period of time. It can occur both in males and females.
Muscle weakness and strain at the affected area causes hernia.
- surgery or injury
- Chronic coughing
- Congenital defect – failure of abdominal wall to close completely while in the womb
- Lifting heavy weight
- Constipation (straining due to bowel movement)
- Fluid retention in the abdomen
- Sudden increase in weight
- Coughing or sneezing persistently
- Surgery or injury at the site
Diagnosis is done on type of hernia
Depending on the age and location of the hernia, following are the types:
Treatment of Hernia
Comments are closed.